Sunday 19 July 2020

STEM: What does it really means?


Assalamualaikum and hi everyone:

There are two incidents that struck me regarding the acronym STEM this year. The first incident was when I become the STEM club advisor in my first year and hosted a meeting of the STEM club in my school. I ask the club members whether they know the meaning of the STEM acronym? What does each letter stand for? One of the students leave me with the answer; Science, Technology Economy Malaysia 😼. Wow.......

The other incident was last week when I asked my students to hand over their Project-Based Learning (PBL) report for the first semester after a longggggg holiday at home (MCO). Seeing them reluctant to submit 'the model of blood transportation' which is one of their assignments, I start to preach about STEM. As I start to explain about STEM and the importance of integrating these four elements all together especially the element E which is Engineering. One student raise her hand and saying 'I don't understand teacher (the acronym)' - and this is the first class; so to speak.





Science. Technology. Engineering. Mathematics

Before the MCO was announced by our Prime Minister, I leave them with Project- Based Learning (PBL). This assignment integrated the STEM elements where students are assigned to build 'the blood transportation model.

I remember when my supervisor, Assoc.Prof. Dr. Nurulhuda Abdul Rahman asked me about the element of ENGINEERING in a STEM-based task which I planned to developed (which later I change to a different approach of teaching-learning module. Is not easy to develop a STEM module... helloooo) 😅.

From that moment, I realised that even my carefully crafted assignment here does not meet the requirements of a STEM assignment where Science, Technology, ENGINEERING and Mathematics working together in one PBL.

I would like to share my reading of the characteristics of STEM Education.


Characteristics of STEM Education:

Morrison (2006) described the-

(i) STEM-educated student as a problem-solver, logical thinker, technologically literate and able to relate own culture to the learning.

(ii) STEM school has STEM literacy as a priority and culturally relevant to all students, has curriculum materials in support of the STEM instruction, foster a culture of questioning and creativity and encourage assessment practice that is both formative and performance-based.

(iii) STEM classroom is active and student-centered, has computers with STEM software, has easily reconfigurable furniture and serves students with various learning styles as well as those with disabilities.



References:

Morrison, J. (2006). Attributes of STEM education:  The Student, the School, the Classroom. Baltimore, MD: Teaching Institute for Excellence in IN STEM.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This:

We've been together:

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Friendship tickers