Sunday 10 November 2019

Constructivism and Red cabbage

Meeting sessions with supervisor always been a challenging period of time, especially with my supervisor Prof. Madya Dr. Nurulhuda Abdul Rahman.

Something that really hit me until now is when she commented about the Learning theories that I have selected to support my developed Technology-Enhanced Learning (TEL) module. I was there looking totally like an idiot (as the result of the unprepared and reading index at a very low point) as I gulping my saliva and remember that I read somewhere but not really grasp the main idea of the context, just read through.

"What is the principle of constructivism?"

I was.. ammphh ..err.. ummmm..

Cut it short, I revise my literature and maybe I can relate to; the First principle of Instruction elaborated by Merrill (2002):

1. Learners are engaged in solving a real-world problem
2. Existing knowledge is compulsory before adapting new knowledge
3. Student-centered when new knowledge is demonstrated by the learner
4. New knowledge is applied by the learner
5. New knowledge is integrated into the learner's world

My metacognitive run wild, now I will try to adopt these five principles into one of the elements in our previous Green Tech Show.

Element 1: Problem is, the world has too much of unnecessary chemicals which gives impact to the environment

Element 2: Apply "a green approach" to determine the pH value of substances




Element 3:  Students demonstrated the experiment since they are the one who will gain new knowledge



You tube link: Red cabbage as pH indicator


Element 4: Blooms Taxonomy - Application: anywhere / anytime (at home/in discussion with peers/ teaching little brother) since the knowledge and experience were already 'there'



Element 5: Other than Red cabbage, what other 'green' product can be used to determine pH value?



Reference:

Merrill, M. D. (2002). First principles of instructional design. Educ. Technol., Res. Dev. 50: 43–59.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This:

We've been together:

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Friendship tickers